The WAIMM doesn’t offer memberships to students in full time secondary education but students between ages 16years – 20years and have interests in pursuing degree programs in earth science and engineering are encouraged to take advantage of the Junior Candidate Membership education.
Education programs organized by the WAIMM include:
- Field trips organized to geological features
- Field trips to mining companies
- The opportunity to attend some of the WAIMM conferences
- Sponsored quiz and debate programs on earth science and engineering
- Networking and talk programs at the secondary schools
- Opportunity to attend WAIMM sponsored open-days in Universities offering programs in earth science and engineering
- Training programs on health, environment and safety
- Training programs on good field practices
Junior membership category is very important for the future sustainability of the industry and the WAIMM constantly puts in efforts and programs to ensure the interest in science and the study of earth science and engineering at the secondary school level is sustained.